Monday, October 29, 2007

Kris Porter


Whaddup yo, I’m Kris Porter. I was the team captain of the 2006-2007 University of North Dakota D1 hockey team.I havent missed a game in two consecutive years here and UND. I think its bullshit that people want to try and change the fighting sioux name. It stands for honor, hard work and exellence. I feel like people are just bored with their lives so they feel they need to start complaining about something. The dean of UND even says that he has some kind of alliance with the nearest Sioux tribe. I think they all just need to shut up and think of better things to try and fix. If the sioux tribe in North Dakota was so offended they would have came to our school on their own instead of a bunch of ignorant people who may not even have anything to do with the Native American culture or the Sioux tribe at all. Anyways, more about me.. My hometown is Thunder Bay, Ontario but i moved to Minnesota for the lovely ladies and to go to High School at Shattuck St. Mary’s for their exellent hockey program.I was a 2002 graduate there as well. I just recently majored in communitcations here at UND and my parents names are Gord and Debbie who both reside back in Thunder Bay.

10 comments:

Jake said...

Hey CP,

First things first, you seem like you have a very low intelligence level due to all the hockey you participate in. So this comment may make no sense to you but what the hell. The Souix should keep their name because it's tradition. For the athletic program they can't just switch the name. It'll loose all its funk. Alright cool. Damn!

Julian Hayden (A.K.A hazy)

megan said...

Thank you. Finally someone understands where Im coming from! As being the owner of the Washington Redskins, I dont understand why everyone is freaking out. and why all of a sudden? UND has had the name and mascot for a long time. Its seriously not supposed to be offensive. Its not dressing up and making fun of the Native American culture its getting excited for a game. Its supposed to show pride and honor. Everyone needs to stop over reacting.

Sincerly,
Dan Snidyr

claire said...

The souix and other Indians have tried to change the mascots for your team and other teams with similar names. Even if you say it stands for all of those positive things, it still is hard for Indians to be thought of as a mascot, and not as humans. We do not want to just be something to mck, and that is I would appreciate the mascot being changed at your school. Good luck this season

claire said...

my name is Ray Strong Bull of WIngs from the post before

Rachel said...

Hey I'm the fifth jury member. What's your view on the mascot? Do you think UND should be able to keep it or should have to make a new one. Thanks!
- Amy Red Oak

kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kyle said...

Dear Kris,
I agree that changing the name of the mascot and nickname are very unnecessary. I think doing this would probably end up causing more bad than it would good. Do you think your team and fans would be affected if the mascot were to stay but if the mascot were revamped to portray a more accurate vision of the Native Americans?

-Gunther Foy

Mackin said...

I hear ya, Kris! You remind me of my boyfriend. You are a jock, and you can see the side of things that I can see, as an involved student who isn't looking to start trouble. This whole conflict is sparked because people want to start drama and make much ado about nothin. Our team's tradition is to be the Fighting Sioux! Why change it? Let's just keep things the way they are. Kris, you are my kind of guy. If things don't work out with my boyfriend, we should meet up. And talk about how ridiculous it is that all these people are crying about the Fighting Sioux. Have your people call my people. I'll treat you right, Kris.

Hibbs said...

YO CHRIS PORTER! i completely agree with what you have going on and im glad you are standing up for the team you played for. Being an indian myself, Doris looks away, i have my eyes on the prize when i say that the team name is not set out to be offensive and i am not going to be selfish by saying it is offensive for what you are doing. You obviously made it for the honor and greatness of our tribe and not the negative parts of it.

Hibbs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.