Monday, October 29, 2007

Roy His Horse Is Lightning: Tribal Leader, North Dakota Sioux Community


My name is Roy His Horse Is Lightning. I am a member of the Hunkpapa-Lakota Oyate. I serve as the Tribal Chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. I am also the Chairman of the Great Plains Tribal Chairman's Association.
In 1988, I received my Juries Doctorate from the University of South Dakota School of Law. In 1985, I received a Bachelor of Science degree from Black Hills State University. I began my career by serving in several professional capacities, such as an attorney, director, and grants evaluator on the Rosebud and Standing Rock Sioux reservations.
From 1991-1993, I served as president of Standing Rock College, where I was responsible for the overall college operations. I took two years off as president of Standing Rock College and headed the American Indian College Fund based in New York, NY, where I was the president from 1993-1995. In 1995, I accepted the position of president at Little Hoop Community College in Fort Totten, ND. Returning to the presidency of Sitting Bull College (formally Standing Rock College) in 1996, I served in this capacity until my election as Tribal Chairman in 2005.
I have served as a commissioner for the Higher Learning Commission for the North Central Accreditation for Schools and Colleges. I also served on the boards of the American Indian Higher Education Consortium and North Dakota Tribal College Association. In 2002, President George W. Bush appointed me as Chairman of the President's Board of Advisors on Tribal Colleges and Universities. I am married to Deborah Wetsit-His Horse Is Lightning.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Dear Roy his horse is lighting,

I knew a Indian girl pretty well once. Her name was Maire little solider. She became ill and was mudered. After seeing this i have a strong feeling about people treat Indians now. I would like to ask you for help on getting the "Fighting Sioux" not to be the UND offical mascot.
Daisy McAuley

Breezy said...

Roy his Horse is Lightning,
I do find this matter to be pressing and the fact that we all should stand up for our people is a great cause. I am not saying that we should just all forget who we are and go on making other important issues right in our community. Yet the fact that we were not even bothered by this problem in the beginning, makes it a trivial problem to solve. Overall, I guess it would be right to put an end to all these conflicts and change the nickname. It would make a better way for us to show what we are proud of and who were truly are.
~Myra Peterson

Rachel said...

Hey I'm the fifth jury member. What's your view on the mascot? Do you think UND should be able to keep it or should have to make a new one. Thanks!
- Amy Red Oak

kyle said...

Dear Roy his Horse is Lightning,
I have a position I would like your opinion on. In deepest regards to you, and the people who UND may be offending, I don't find it necessary to change the mascot. I think if the school and Native Americans teamed up, the mascot of the Fighting Sioux could become a beneficial and positive mascot. You could inform them about your customs and traditions and in that way, UND could accurately portray Native Americans in a positive light. Do you think this is possible?

-Gunther Foy

NAlverson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NAlverson said...

Hi, thank you for voicing your opinion on the UND mascot issue, I will take it into consideration, however, the council has many other issues to deal with at this time, and for me, this issue isn't very high on my to do list, I personally don't care either way about the mascot, but I feel that it is just creating a lot of trouble for both sides, and besides, it would be smart if we keep on good terms with the school, it could be in our best interest.

-Chief Grand Cherokee

Rachel said...

Hey

Thanks for responding back to me on your view of the UND mascot. When you say that you don’t support the mascot, I agree! My tribe is the Standing Rock Sioux (which you are the chairman of! do you remember me??), and we have historically lived in North Dakota. Since I was born and raised on our reservation, I share the same views as the tribe. We believe that the mascot is degrading and misinforming towards the Native American race. There are so many other mascots available to use and mascots involving Native Americans shouldn’t have to be used. Thanks for supporting the removal of the UND mascot!
- Amy Red Oak