Monday, October 29, 2007

Joss Haben ( White female student at UND)

I am a white student (female) currently attending the University of North Dakota as a sophomore, Go Fighting Sioux! I grew up in Fargo, ND. Going to UND has been a part of my families history, most of my family has gone to the University of North Dakota, including my brother who is currently a senior at UND. I am enrolled in the aviation program and I absolutely love it. North Dakota is a great school for anyone wanting to pursue a career in aviation. I am very active in student life, especially the athletic side. I love going to the hockey games and hanging out with friends. I myself play on the North Dakota volleyball team. The teachers and academics are amazing here in North Dakota. The school is beautifully portrayed in the great city of Grand Forks. The students are friendly and welcoming. I am very proud of our school and I believe that our mascot should stay. It is a huge part of our state’s history and I think it proudly represents the sioux people in our community. GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

10 comments:

Moe said...

I agree with you. I dont think the fighting sioux is offensive. How is it offensive. They should be able to keep the name and leave it as it is and not make a big deal about it.

sarah said...

In your community the Siox people may be proud of your teams mascot however there are many other Siox people around and I, as a leader of the AIM oppose your teams mascot and think that you should change it. You as a student At North Dakota should perhaps think of how the rest of the indians feel at you could start a protest against it, and think up other mascots. It would be greatly appreciated by many. "GO FIGHTING SIOUX" is so offensive because it makes my people sound so violent. Have some respect.

-clyde bellecourt.

lawrence said...

I think that your not looking at the issue from the right direction, instead of using your opinions look at it from a Native American's view. If they find it offensive, which they do, and it has negative affiliations within the community at large, again it does, then the name should be changed. Conclusively, you may think it is not offensive, but the Native American Community does, and that is why the name should be changed.

Mike Saunders, UND Alumni Student

claire said...

I know you have so much fun being a supportive fan of your school. If there was to be a new name for your team, I'm sure that you would still be a number one fan! I think you should support the change of the name because I am an Indian, and I am very offended the way we are mocked at the games.
Ray Strong Bull of Wings

Rachel said...

Hey I'm the fifth jury member. What's your view on the mascot? Do you think UND should be able to keep it or should have to make a new one. Thanks!
- Amy Red Oak

kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kyle said...

Dear Joss Haben,
It is apparent that you find no problem with the Fighting Sioux as your school's mascot. I respect that and, as well, support the Sioux as North Dakota's symbol. My question to you is this: Do you think if UND kept the Fighting Sioux as their mascot, but collaborated with Native Americans to create a more realistic Sioux, do you think sports teams and fans would be affected?

-Gunther Foy

Anonymous said...

I think that if the team was named "The White Crackas" You would be offended.

Ruriko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruriko said...

thank you for saying such good things about my people. i do support your words, but let me ask you a question, if a team mascot was instead called the "conquering whites," would you be offended? i mean, yes, Sioux indians fight. the white man takes over land. but both things can be looked at as both bad and good. my people do not what to be known for fighting and violence alone, just as i am sure white people dont want to be known as bloodthirsty conquers. is that not so?
-Marie Little Soldier