Monday, October 29, 2007

UND Editor: Mary Sue Fisher

Hey y'all! My name is Mary Sue. I am an editor of the school newspaper at UND. Because I was offered a full ride to North Dakota, I came here from San Antonio, Texas. I miss the South, and I still hold my family values close to my heart. The greatest of these is American Pride. It is so important for America to embrace Pride. Normally I would not capitalize just any adjective, but Pride is an exception, because it is what I strive to have for my country. Pride, Honor, and Americanism. I am 21 years old, but you can be sure I live my life dry as the desert. I am majoring in journalism, and one day I hope to be my generation's Nancy Grace. She is truly a representation of a real American Woman. I think all the women at this school should strive to become hardworking and successful American citizens.
I wish everyone was an American, including the Indians. I think they need to get off their high horse and just accept that they happen to be a representation of our school mascot. Our mascot is what our school has been for many years. It's not changing now! That would be silly to feed into all of the drama that those who oppose it are creating. They need to be thicker skinned!

Rah, Rah, Fighting Sioux!

6 comments:

knelson said...

you sound like a very colorful person Mary! I disagree with your opinions though. As a Native American, I think that the UND mascot is offensive and should be changed, even if it does ruin the tradition. It is disrespectful and demeaning.

Rachel said...

Hey I'm the fifth jury member. What's your view on the mascot? Do you think UND should be able to keep it or should have to make a new one. Thanks!
- Amy Red Oak

claire said...

I agree with KNelson, I feel very disrespected when I see the way the students act at the games. As a group of people, we do not deserve to be a mascot. I can tell you have a lot of pride in women, how would you feel if women were a mascot? think about it.

Anonymous said...

I think the mascot is offensive. Just because you're at the school doesn't mean you necessarily see the pain. Many people these days are introverted and will keep the thoughts to themselves but sit alone in the dorm room and cry about it. In all honestly wouldn't you be offended if the mascot were to be named "The Fighting Crackas" or something of the sort? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Bailey said...

Yo whaddup giiiiiirl. I know, i'm a hockey player and i am extrememely attractive.. many girls tell me this on a daily basis.. but i am very glad to hear that you agree with me on this situation. Those damn people just need to shut their mouths and worry about real issues; like what brand hair gel i should buy next, or what color shirt would match my eyes and complexion the best..you know, important things like that.. but sorry about your early request. i am taken (obviously, cause im so hott ) yes, that is with two T's. But if i ever dump her ass ill be sure and hit you up. take it easy Mary Sue and hopefully things will work out..
Peace out girl.
One Love,
Kris Porter

imhungry4food said...

Ms. Fisher.
i'm not sure i agree with your opinions, but i am a jury member, and i am undecided. So convince me. Tell me in detail your opinion on why it should not be changed.
-Winona Yepa