Monday, October 29, 2007

Len McAuley

Hi, I'm Len McAuley! I'm a an older man (in my 60s), and I am happily married to a lovely woman named Daisy. I am a pretty tall guy, gaunt, really long legs, stoop-shouldered, shy and soft spoken. Some might consider me to be an alcoholic. You will often see me with a glass of whiskey in my hand. In Bentrock I was so well liked and respected that everyone was relieved when I quit drinking. I was deputy with Davids grandpa, and his dad. The two of us pretty much had control of Mercer County. We were known as the Hayden-McAuley team. When it came to cases that we had to deal with about Indians, I usually favored the side of Indians. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very fair man. I've always had a little soft spot for the Indians. When it comes to the debate about whether or not to remove the mascots from some teams, I feel that they should be removed and replaced with a team name that everyone can agree on. A name that isn't offensive to other people. I just like things to be fair for all. You could definitely consider me a part of the Hayden family. I was like a grandpa to David. When Uncle Frank was locked up in the basement and going insane, I came over to their house and stood outside with Davids mother, Gail, to protect her. I was holding a gun in his hand and it was pointed at the group of four men. I didn't fire, though. I would say I am a pretty good man at heart.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey I'm the fifth jury member. What's your view on the mascot? Do you think UND should be able to keep it or should have to make a new one. Thanks!
- Amy Red Oak

Jason said...

Capital! I agree with you honey. I think we are making a huge impact on this mascot issue. I think that we need to make more progress with the jury members. I think it would greatly help us.
-Daisy McAuley

KP said...

Hello Len! I like to cause trouble. I would enjoy helping you in your fight to remove the logo from UND. Let me know what I can do!

~Felicia Foy

sarah said...

thank you for being far on this and i geratly am against the use of the mascot for the spots teams. I give you respect for being fair on this issue and giving each side a chance. I think that more white people need to be like you and give a view on each side, rather than be selfish and do what they want for themselves
keep supporting the indians!!
-clyde bellecourt

kyle said...

Dear Len,
I don't think the mascot necessarily needs to be changed, but simply revamped. I think if we look at the customs and traditions of Native Americans, we can make the Fighting Sioux a positive and agreeable mascot. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

-Gunther Foy

Rachel said...

Hey Len

Thanks for responding back to me on your view of the UND mascot. When you say that you don’t support the mascot, I agree! My tribe is the Standing Rock Sioux, and we have historically lived in North Dakota. Since I was born and raised on our reservation, I share the same views as the tribe. We believe that the mascot is degrading and misinforming towards the Native American race. There are so many other mascots available to use and mascots involving Native Americans shouldn’t have to be used. Thanks for supporting the removal of the UND mascot!
- Amy Red Oak